Friday 9 May 2014

A New Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Recipe

Mmm.. carrot cake - and it's gluten-free!


This is a delicious recipe for gluten-free carrot cake, a special bake for my dad who is Coeliac.
I adapted a recipe I found on Pintrest called 'Scrumptious Carrot Cake' (it was originally posted on www.healtheries.co.nz). 
I chose to use a different flour blend than the original recipe and also slightly altered the spices to my own taste.

Here is my version of the recipe:

1 1/2 cups of your chosen gluten-free flour mix (I used Juvela gluten-free White Mix)
2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Large pinch ground cloves
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup golden caster sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
2 cups grated carrots
2 Tbsp desiccated coconut

Grease and line a 20cm tin
Oven 180
Sieve flour, spice and baking powder.
Add rest of ingredients, stir carefully until mixture is just combined - do not over mix.
Pour into tin and gently smooth surface of mixture.
Bake for 1 hour - check with a skewer to make sure baked in the centre.
Remove from oven, remove tin and baking paper and allow cake to cool.
I'd serve the cake with natural yoghurt but you could make a cream cheese icing to go over the cake if you have a sweet tooth.









No comments:

Post a Comment